Every summer, Beacon has over 150 session volunteers that act as cabin leaders, kitchen staff and program staff. Some job require more intensive training and skill, which is where our summer staff team fills the gap. These staff members volunteer for the entire summer, serving as lifeguards, maintenance staff and other roles. A volunteer is eligible for summer staff in the year that they turn 18 years old, and typically requires a commitment to serve at camp from the last week of June to the Labour Day weekend (about 10 weeks).
While summer staff positions are volunteer-based positions, financial support is possible through Friends of Beacon Ministries. All summer staff are also encouraged to raise their own funds through their church or through individual support. Beacon will provide assistance in the preparation of fundraising materials and provides room and board during the time that summer staff are at camp. Details of this support will be provided to the volunteers who are selected to join the summer staff team.
As of November 2017, Beacon is looking for the following summer staff team members. Based on the number of summer staff applicants, Beacon year-round staff reserves the right to adjust the number of staff needed in each position, and add positions as required.
- 1 Waterfront Director
- 4 lifeguards (who also serve as maintenance staff for part of the day)
- 1 maintenance staff member
- 1 program support staff
To understand each of the positions, click below to see a short position description for each summer staff role.
Excited to apply for summer staff? We're glad! In 2018, we're making a few changes to the way that summer staff works to improve how we work as a team. Please make sure that you read below, and let us know if you have any questions.
BEFORE YOU APPLY, PLEASE Read This First:
- Your service as summer staff may be one of the hardest things you've ever done: the hours are long, the role is "behind-the-scenes". Please take time to carefully discern whether this is the right way for you to serve at Beacon. We are always looking for great cabin leaders and other staff if you feel that summer staff isn't best for you.
- When applying, tell us your first choice for position. If that position isn't available, we'll talk to you about other options.
- (New for 2018) To apply to be summer staff, you must turn 18 years old by the end of the calendar year. Selected staff members who are not 18 by the start of the camp season will need to sign an extra release form before starting their role as summer staff.
- (New for 2018) At this time, we are exploring the possibility that summer staff will not be eligible to help with sessions during the summer. This is being done to allow us to create a better team dynamic within our summer staff.
- For 2018, summer staff are expected to be available from June 20 until September 1, 2018. If you have conflicts with those days, please clearly list them in your application so that we can talk to you about it. Once your time-off requests are received, it is very unlikely that we will be able to accommodate additional requests.
- Applications for summer staff positions are open each year from November 1 to December 31. Interviews for those selected will take place in-person during the month of January, with selections usually decided by early February.
- If you're interested in volunteering during May and June, please send an separate email to Alyssa about that - we'll connect about the possibility to having you at camp!
Still have questions before you apply? Contact Alyssa LaRocque at firstname.lastname@example.org.